Teenagers are often shy and lack confidence about having crooked or protruding teeth, especially when they smile. They are even shyer when they have to wear metal braces to correct such teeth-related problems.
This is where Invisalign really shines as a potential treatment alternative for braces. After all, there’s no doubt that once a teen’s teeth are better aligned, the more confident they will be, plus there’s less risk of having problems which crooked teeth can bring later in life.
At PacificWest, we have treated thousands of patients with orthodontic issues in Surrey and here are some tips and insights for anyone considering braces or Invisalign treatment.
- What is Invisalign
- When Is It Appropriate to Start the Invisalign Treatment?
- How Do Invisalign Aligners Work For Teenagers?
- What Teeth Conditions Can Invisalign Treat?
- How long should Invisalign be worn each day?
- Great Benefits of Choose Invisalign Treatment
- Why Invisalign May Be a Superior Option To traditional braces
- What are Some Major Drawbacks With Invisalign?
- Some Things to Remember When Choosing Invisalign
- After Completing the Invisalign Treatment, Is a Retainer Needed?
- Contact Us
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign are a set of clear, almost invisible innovative aligners which are more comfortable to wear than braces, especially for self-conscious teens. By using these clear and simple orthodontic appliances, a teen’s teeth will gradually straighten out over time.
This technology offers a clear alternative to traditional methods, being an excellent option for teens who want to straighten their teeth without the unsightliness and stigma of wearing traditional metal braces. Many teenagers in Surrey choose Invisalign treatment for this very reason.
When Is It Appropriate to Start the Invisalign Treatment?
It is usually suggested that we wait for all permanent teeth to be present or at least start to erupt before starting comprehensive orthodontic treatment. While it is possible or even necessary to have received treatment when the patient is younger, we want to have all the permanent teeth that the patient needs be present and straight when the treatment is completed. On the other hand, it may not be wise for patients to defer treatment until they are adults because bone growth and turnover slow down, and overall treatment time will lengthen for older adults. Furthermore, delaying or skipping orthodontic treatment may lead to longer-term problems such as poor bite patterns and uneven wear, making it more difficult or impossible to achieve the ideal result.
So, for teens whose teeth are showing signs of not being straight, there’s no time like the present to start wearing Invisalign clear aligners. They are almost invisible yet help to move teeth to where they should be.
How Do Invisalign Aligners Work For Teenagers?
Invisalign are a series of custom made clear aligners to fit over the upper and lower teeth, designed by your orthodontists to gently move teeth and bite into position.
The clear, plastic aligners have been precisely made to the teen’s teeth using 3D scanning. The orthodontist not only evaluates the teen’s teeth and bite, but also the growth potential and development of the teenager’s face and jaws. Accordingly, a treatment plan is suggested to best compliment a teen’s facial profile.
A series of Invisalign aligners are designed to be worn one after another. Each aligner gradually guides the teeth to move into the intended position. Our orthodontist also will perform regular checkups to ensure the treatment is going according to plan.
For more complex situations, the orthodontist may have to place an attachment on the teeth. Attachments are tooth-coloured bumps positioned on the teeth by an orthodontist and are very subtle to the untrained eye. Attachments provide a better anchor point to apply force and allow more precise movements. Patients with more complicated cases would require attachments as part of their Invisalign treatment.
What Teeth Conditions Can Invisalign Treat?
Invisalign can be used to treat basically all types of common malocclusion and teeth alignment issues:
- overbite (including overjet, buck teeth, etc.)
- general misalignment
- open bite
- irregular teeth shape or size issues
- and even complex cases
For complicated cases with severe tooth wear and loss, or severe jaw bone misalignments, adjunctive treatments such as restorations using fillings or veneers, or surgical interventions may be required in addition to orthodontic treatment with Invisalign.
How long should Invisalign be worn each day?
In order for treatment to be as effective as possible, aligners need to be worn for a minimum of 22 hours every day. The other 2 hours allow plenty of time to take the aligners out for eating and cleaning. If really necessary, and a teen has extra-curricular sporting activities which require the aligners to be removed, they can be easily taken out.
Great Benefits of Choose Invisalign Treatment
Invisalign for Teenagers offers a wide variety of benefits for users, which include the following. Benefits include:
- almost invisible when worn;
- great at building the confidence of a teen when at study or at play;
- gradually straighten crooked and protruding teeth, sometimes quicker than other methods;
- involve no food restrictions so teens can eat what they want;
- can be easily cleaned;
- can be easily removed (great for anyone playing sports or playing an instrument);
- fewer appointments with the orthodontist for emergencies;
- easily replaced;
- overall easier to maintain good dental hygiene; and
- Possible reduction in the risk of tooth decay compared to traditional wire braces as there are fewer places where food and bacteria can become trapped.
Why Invisalign May Be a Superior Option To traditional braces
Invisalign has many direct and indirect advantages over the more traditional ways of straightening teeth using metal braces—and some of these include:
- do not have wires or metal fixings so a teen can look and feel more natural in public settings, with the associated confidence boost;
- offer better aesthetics and greater convenience.
- Less chance of emergencies from pokey wire or loose appliances
- Less interference to teens who are actively involved in sports or music activities.
What are Some Major Drawbacks With Invisalign?
- In summary, there are two issues:
- Invisalign is easy to take off, but that’s the problem as teens may forget to put them back. Aligners don’t work if they are in the pocket instead of in the mouth
- Invisalign aligners can stain
- Invisalign is more expensive than traditional metal braces
- However, the advantages typically outweigh the few drawbacks of Invisalign.
There are no major orthodontic issues with teens wearing Invisalign on a daily basis, although self-discipline can be important for some who may be inclined to only occasionally wear them or, in some cases, forget to insert them.
It’s important to wear the Invisalign for at least 22 hours a day to ensure that the treatment works effectively. Obviously, as Invisalign can be removed, whereas braces cannot, this makes self-discipline a potential issue for some. Not wearing Invisalign enough may cause delays or even derail entire treatments.
If you forget to take off your Invisalign aligner when drinking coloured liquids, then the aligner will stain. You would still have to wear it until the treatment schedule requires you to switch to the next aligner.
Some Things to Remember When Choosing Invisalign
To many teens, Invisalign offers freedom from those restrictions which go with using the brackets and wires of traditional braces.
However, there are still certain rules which need to be observed for the healthy and effective use of Invisalign; these include:
- the need to remove Invisalign before eating, but this is easily done in seconds;
- brushing and flossing regularly, just as normal, after eating or drinking, to make sure all particles are removed from between teeth;
- patients need to be self-disciplined and not be tempted to leave out the Invisalign if they do not feel like wearing it;
- only drink water when the appliances are in place or else risk discolouration (of course, other beverages may be consumed when the Invisalign is not in place—so don’t be tempted to eat or drink when wearing the Invisalign);
- patients can still enjoy all the food they could before they started using Invisalign!
After Completing the Invisalign Treatment, Is a Retainer Needed?
After completing Invisalign treatment, patients are required to wear a set of retainers in order to maintain a beautifully straightened smile and avoid teeth from shifting position. This is generally most important during the first 3-6 months after active movements are completed. As mouth is a living place and will naturally undergo changes with aging, we recommend lifetime retainer wear at night time to our patients.
Contact Us PacificWest and Our Surrey Orthodontists Are Ready to Help!
PacificWest’s Orthodontists have been servicing the Surrey and surrounding communities for over ten years. Dr. Wang and Dr. Lee are well known in the community and offer a highly specialized set of orthodontic services, caring for both teens and other patients .
Our orthodontists have treated thousands of teenagers in Surrey over the years and are highly experienced with both complex and simple orthodontic issues. From severe malocclusion to minor overcrowding, our specialists are confident we are able to help you get straighter teeth.
PacificWest’s Google Reviews speak for itself. With over 200 5-star reviews, we are known to be skilled at performing treatments and caring for our patients.
If you are a parent with an anxious teenager (or you are an anxious teenager) who may be avoiding treatment, feel free to book a free consultation at PacificWest to learn more about Invisalign. Our orthodontists are in the clinic to answer any questions they have to put them at ease. Every case is different, so it often helps to speak with one of our caring professionals for professional medical advice.
So, are you ready to learn more about how Invisalign can help treat your teen’s teeth alignment issues? Come to our Surrey clinic and see how we can help you achieve your perfect teeth and dream smile!
Why not get in touch now to arrange a free consultation online at PacificWest Orthodontists at Surrey today!
Online Booking (click/tap here)
Call us at 604-501-0993!