Braces / Invisalign For Mature Adults
Why Are Adults Looking for Orthodontic Treatments?
Many people share the same experience, after many years of hard work and sacrifice, you are at a place now where you can take a break and take care of yourself. With the advancement of technology in orthodontics, adults now have more options than ever available to provide them with an unique orthodontic experience to address their specific needs. Whether if you’ve always had crooked teeth and issues with a poor bite, or had multiple aging crown and bridge and wants a smile make-over, or if you experienced minor relapse from your previous treatment when you were young, orthodontic treatment is a safe treatment option for you to take your smile to the next level.
When to Consider Orthodontic Treatment for Seniors
Anytime! We are ready to see you and begin this journey with you whenever you are ready!
The most common reasons to consider orthodontic treatment for adults include:
- Issues with chewing food
- Speech impairment
- Poor bite resulting in excessive wear on the teeth
- Difficulty keeping teeth clean due to overlapping teeth or gaps, resulting in swollen or irritated gums
- Broken down or missing teeth issue, requiring orthodontic rearrangement of teeth to provide optimal access and foundation for the dentist to restore the tooth.
We will work closely with you and your family dentist to come up with a comprehensive treatment plan specific for your dental condition and tailored to your lifestyle and needs.
Challenges for Adult
When adults and seniors consider braces and Invisalign, there are some things to consider.
- Orthodontic treatment may take longer for an older adult when compared to younger patients. This is because tooth movement requires bone turnover, which is slower in adults. Also, as many adults have worn and broken down teeth, or missing teeth, these adds complexity to the orthodontic treatment.
- Periodontal (gum) disease is more prevalent in the adult population, which may result in them having less bone support for their teeth. That is why we will always ask our adult patients to have a comprehensive dental examination done with their family dentist and resolve any dental infections before starting orthodontic treatment.
- As there is no growth or change in the bone structure for adults, surgical treatment may be required if there is a significant discrepancy in the size or shape of the facial bones.
What Type of Appliances are Available for Adult Orthodontics
Adults nowadays have more options than ever for their orthodontic treatment. Each solution carries various benefits, and we will even mix and match different options to provide the best overall experience for our patients.
- Traditional Metal Braces – Traditional metal braces are the most affordable orthodontic treatment that is also highly effective.
- Gold Braces – For a little more visual appeal, why not opt for gold braces? Gold braces are constructed with 24K gold plating. They function the same as traditional metal braces, offering effective treatment at a reasonable price point.
- Ceramic Braces – Ceramic braces have the same appearance and translucency to teeth, making their appearance more subtle and harder to see. Although not completely invisible due to the presence of the metal wire, ceramic braces are much less noticeable than traditional braces. However, they have a slightly bulkier profile, and is more fragile when compared to metal braces.
- Lingual Braces – Lingual braces are the only orthodontic treatment considered to be completely invisible. They are placed behind the teeth and cannot be seen on the outside of the mouth.
- Invisalign – Invisalign is a system of clear, plastic, removable aligners custom made to provide a precise fit over your teeth. By wearing each aligner for a designated amount of time, teeth are gently pushed into the final position as you progress through the series of aligners. Because Invisalign is a removable appliance, you can take the aligners out to eat or to attend important functions. However, its effectiveness is highly dependent on wear time. So it is important that you are self-disciplined to wear the aligners 20-22 hours a day in order for the treatment to be successful.
PacificWest’s Orthodontists Have Expertise You Can Trust
Dr. Wang, Dr. Lee, and our team of orthodontic professionals have decades of experience helping seniors in Surrey and Vancouver achieve their ideal smiles. Regardless of your age, we will find the right orthodontic solution for you. Contact our office staff at 604-558-0993 or email@example.com.
Get a Consultation
boost your confidence with perfectly aligned teeth. Our specialists have successfully treated the most complex situations.
Dr. Wang, DDS, MSc, FRCD(C)
Dr. Kevin Lee, DMD, MSc, FRCD(C)
dO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS?
Book a Consultation
If you’re ready to take the next step to achieving your perfect smile, it’s time to book your appointment. Contact us now at 604-501-0993 or by filling in the form found below.
Our initial consultation is to help us examine your bite and formulate a treatment plan to resolve your alignment issues. We make time to answer all of your questions, helping to set your mind at ease about your recommended course of action.